Thursday 18 July 2013

Friday's Kitchen: Ginger Beer Coolers



At the risk of being hounded by the vast majority of sun-worshippers, I have to say I'm not massively enjoying this heatwave!  I'm very much an Autumn and Winter girl, the clothes, the leaves, the snow and, of course, Christmas.  Holidays in the past have consisted of scraping pathetic hour-long sunbathing sessions before needing to slope off into the shade and recover.   Plus it doesn't suit my wannabe-Dita skin!

Needless to say, it looks like Summer is well and truly here and I've been experimenting with cooling drinks to help me cope with this heat!  Introducing my very own Ginger Beer Cooler...

I love ginger and I love spice.  During the early stages of my pregnancy, I was guzzling Old Jamaica by the gallon and munching on ginger nuts like there was no tomorrow.  This homemade ginger beer recipe has a strong ginger kick mixed with a sweet and sharp lemonade taste.  Perfect for an afternoon BBQ or a lazy picnic.

Ingredients: (to make approx 2 litres of Ginger Beer)
150g Fresh Ginger (chopped and skin on)
2 Lemons
3-4 Whole Cloves
4 Tbsps Demerara/Muscovado Sugar
2 Litre Bottle of Sparkling Mineral Water


Method:
In a mixing bowl, place your chopped ginger (I always leave the skin on for extra flavour) and add the sugar.  Mix together a little.

Next, using a vegetable peeler, peel the rind from both lemons and add to ginger.  Add in the cloves.  Using the end of a rolling pin, mash the rind and ginger together to release the juices, for about 30 seconds.  Squeeze the juice from both the lemons and add to the ginger mixture. stira little and leave to sit for 10 minutes or so.

Once ready, taste test the mixture and add more sugar or lemon juice where necessary.  Add your spring water and mix.  Pour into a serving jug (I always keep the ingredients in to make sure the flavour stays fresh and sharp, but you can remove by pouring through a sieve).

Serve over ice with a sprig of mint (gnome is optional)!  Enjoy your sunny afternoon!

Throughout August my recipe posts will all be based on a 'Change One Thing' theme to really challenge my baking and cooking skills and encourage healthier eating.  If you are a blogger and would like to link up your recipe ideas with this theme, please email me at missemmaberry@gmail.com

No comments: